Thursday, May 19, 2011

A special evening with former Governor General Michaëlle Jean

Hello everyone,

Last Thursday I had the privilege to attend quite a special event here on campus at the University of Waterloo. The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean came to campus to give the 2011 Stanley Knowles Humanitarian Service Lecture, and beforehand there was a special, Haïtian-flavoured dinner organized for seventy or so people. Four International Development students were invited to attend the dinner at the University Club, and I was a part of that group.

We were asked to arrive a little bit early to get some group pictures in and help with the set-up for the reception and dinner. Two of us were to greet the guests as they arrived, and the other two were to mill around and strike up conversation with the other attendees (mostly faculty in Environment or INDEV, people from RBC, and other major donors). I was quite excited to volunteer myself to mingle with the guests as we all waited for Mme Jean to arrive. The evening brought back memories from summers working at Rideau Hall.

For two summers, I worked as a guide/interpreter at Rideau Hall (in Ottawa), the official workplace and residence of the Governor General of Canada. This was during the time of Mme Jean's mandate, so I have already met her on a few occasions and had the chance to attend quite a few events where she presented awards and gave speeches. One of the most valuable skills I learned during my time at Rideau Hall was how to feel comfortable in a room full of strangers, enter into conversation and remain professional. At Rideau Hall, we occasionally had events of 200+ people, and my job as a guide would be to talk with the guests, tell them a little bit about the history, art or architecture of the room they were in, and just have general conversation. Let me tell you that it is much easier said than done! The first major event that I worked was the closing ceremony for the Governor General's Canadian Leadership Conference. With a little bit of help from our coordinators, we learned to introduce ourselves to people who were deep in conversation and integrate ourselves into their groups. Nerve-wracking to begin with, but after a while you pick up some tricks and a lot of courage.

The evening last week felt oddly familiar. As guests began to arrive, I would walk up to clusters, introduce myself, and then tell them a little bit about my studies, the International Development program, or just join into whatever discussion they were having. This allowed me to meet many faculty members, high-ranking university officials and other guests of the university that were eagerly awaiting to meet Mme Jean.

When Mme Jean arrived, she went around from group to group to say a quick hello and take pictures with them. The International Development students present had the opportunity to take a picture with her as well:

From left to right: Sarah Voegeli (INDEV student), Feridun Hamdullahpur (6th president of the University of Waterloo), Dana Vanthof (INDEV student), the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Sheila Ball (INDEV student), Eric Christensen (INDEV student).
We also got a picture taken with the rest of the International Development staff:

From left to right: Larry Swatuk (INDEV Program Director), Dana Vanthof, Eric Christensen, Sarah Voegeli, the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Sheila Ball, Gráinne Ryder (INDEV Field Placement and Language Program Coordinator), Bruce Frayne (INDEV Professor).
It was very nice to meet with Mme Jean again. I have always found her to be a positive, energetic and caring person, even though she has an incredibly busy schedule (she was in Dubai the day before her talk at Waterloo, and was leaving for Haïti the following day). In the talk she gave that night, it was incredibly well tailored to her audience. She spoke directly to the International Development students to give us words of strength and encouragement, and to remind us not to do 'for' but to do 'with'. She spoke about youth engagement, the evolution of humanitarianism, its strengths and shortfalls, and about her role as the UNESCO Special Envoy to Haïti.

Hearing her speak gives me hope for the future: I often get told that I am too optimistic or that my energy will soon fade when I head out into the 'real world', I see people becoming jaded or cynical about their ability to make a difference and have doubts in others. While I recognize that not everything is perfect and that it may never be, the fact that Mme Jean still has the enthusiasm and energy to do what she does gives me faith that if I continue to stay positive and to do what I can, no one will be able to bring me down and that I will leave my mark on the world, whatever that may be. And that is a great gift to be able to give to others.

Don't let the fire inside of you get put out by others. That is what I took away from that night. Not because it was explicitly stated, but because actions speak louder than words. And hers were ringing loud and clear.

Have a great week!
Sheila

[to read more about the event, follow this link: Investment not aid: Michaëlle Jean calls on young Canadians to champion inclusive international development.]

No comments:

Post a Comment