Thursday, May 12, 2011

Crossroad of cultures

Hello!

This week's post is based on the words "Crossroad of cultures" that can be seen on this advertisement for Peru (this is the last advertisement in the series):


A crossroad of cultures, in my opinion, is a great way of describing much of the state of the world right now. If I take myself, for example, my background is a crossroad of cultures: I am half French-Canadian, half English-Canadian, and so I proudly speak both French and English at home (and Spanish when I travel). In September when I arrive in Peru, I will bring with me my Canadian culture, mixed in with some habits I may have picked up while living in France last year, and learn to adapt to a whole new Peruvian way of life. I will be living amongst people who may be descendants from the Incas, Spanish, Japanese, or any other group of people who have moved to Peru to make it their home.

I think that when you are at a crossroad, you often have the choice with which path you want to go down. The easy, straight road? The one with the dark cloud looming ahead? The curvy twisty up and down path? There are endless possibilities... I am looking forward to embracing this eight-month internship experience with open arms. I know that things will be different; this does not mean that they are better/worse. I will have the opportunity to share my culture, language and traditions with others, and cannot wait to learn more about them as well.

I think that this advertisement describes the direction in which the world is shifting: you have people travelling and moving from area to area (covering much greater distances in a much shorter period of time than before), and settling down in unfamiliar territory. When tourists come to Peru, they get to experience the sights and culture, a different language (Peru has two official languages: Spanish and Quechua), .... the list goes on and on.

How do you approach crossroads when you are presented with a challenge? Or with an unknown outcome? I'd love to hear your stories!

Have a great week!
Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment