Monday, October 17, 2011

My work at EMAPA Huacho

So, what am I actually doing for my field placement? As most of you may know, I am currently completing an 8-month field placement in Huacho, Peru. But what else?

I am working for a local water utility, EPS EMAPA Huacho S.A., focusing on user education and on environmental assessments (EA). I am studying the feasibility of the construction of three new water purification plants, which includes writing the terms of reference, compiling baseline data and completing studies of the physical, biological, social, cultural, and economic impacts of the project. I am working directly with the head sanitation engineer to complete the three EAs required (since EMAPA is going to build three waste water treatment plants in different areas of the region), while bringing a different perspective to the analysis of the situation. As we are in a low-lying coastal area that is prone to earthquakes (there was a magnitude 4.1 earthquake here my first week, but I didn't feel it), the potential waste water treatment plants need to be able to resist to certain natural disasters. We are also analyzing the risk of toxic matter leeching into aquifers in the case of a failure with the structure. The proximity of the waste water treatment plants to human dwellings is also of concern (legislation states that it must be at least 500 m away from the closest houses, but in one city the plant may be built as near as 100-150 m away from the closest properties for lack of other land). Planting a ring of trees around the facilities has been planned to help reduce the unpleasant odours that will be released during the water treatment process. Furthermore, we are planning preventative measures to reduce the risk of mosquitoes and other insects from breeding near the treatment plants. Throughout our analysis, we must keep into consideration cost, local knowledge (for when maintenance issues arise) and general needs of the population.

On top of this major project, we also have a lot of minor projects on the side. EMAPA Huacho provides clean water and sanitation services for 5 districts (population total in the city of Huacho, for example, is roughly 80,000, with 22,000 households connected to the service). There are constantly renovations and extensions to be made to the network as old pipes deteriorate and as the city expands. The major urban expansion is hppenin to the south of the city (into what are called asentamientos humanos, or slums). This region does not yet have running water or sewage systmes. EMAPA Huacho is in the process of completing feasibility studies to connect these houses to the water network (sewage treatment for them is not available at this time). I am also completing the EA for this project, and for the numerous little other projects that are taking place around the city.

As with any EA process, wheter in Canada or here in Perú, public participation is a large part of it. Last week I put together our entire citizen participation plan, including a timeline, and the content for open house information sessions, workshops, interviews, and other consultation evenings for us to disseminate information about the proposed plans and also allow citizens to raise concerns and have their questions answered directly. Last week, I travelled to Sayán (one of the cities that EMAPA Huacho works in) to make a presentation to the Board of Directors of EMAPA Huacho and to the mayor of the district of Sayán about the proposed citizen participation plan. What an experience! My first 20-minute presentation in Spanish to a group of about 20 people (all high-ranking officials and engineers) about something that I had been working on for days. Success! My presentation was well-received (although presenting in Peru is very different from at home: no one turns their cell phones off, people chat during the presentation, and snacks were served while I was speaking so everyone turned their attention to their soft drinks and cookies instead of listening to me). I managed to answer a few questions, too. I was quite happy with myself, and the engineer I am working with came up and gave me a big hug afterwards, and said that I did a great job. Fiouf!

Answering questions at the end of my presentation
This experience is allowing me to critically analyze the realities of a water utility in a development context and the factors that must be taken into consideration give our location in a highly seismic zone. I am also gaining field experience. I am adapting well to life in a different language and culture, strengthening my oral, verbal and written skills in Spanish in order to communicate effectively with the environmental assessment team.

Hopefully that helps clear things up. If you have any questions or would like to know more about what I am doing, leave me a message! I would love to share more information with you!

Have a great week!
Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment