Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go...

Well, here we are! The night before my departure. Quite honestly... it hasn't hit me yet that I'm leaving. I've had such a busy summer (mostly living out of a suitcase) that it just feels like I'm packing to go on another trip, or to go back to Waterloo. Not that I'm travelling to South America for my first time. Here's a quick run-down of the busy summer I've had:

-From May until July 25th I was in Waterloo, Ontario, completing my last semester of courses before leaving for my field placement.
-From July 25th until August 9th I was at home in Ottawa (this included trips to the cottage and a week-long visit from family who lives in Switzerland).
-From August 9th until September 4th I was away: first in Montreal, then in Europe for 3.5 weeks, then in eastern Quebec for a family reunion.
-From September 4th (at night) until September 7th (midday): at home, in Ottawa.

And then... I will be in Peru. Luckily I got most of my packing done before leaving for Europe so I just had to come home, empty my backpack, fill it back up with stuff for Peru, and get a few last-minute details sorted out (like print the email explaining who is picking us up at the airport in Lima).

To give you an idea of what I'm packing, I've been keeping a list (also so that I make sure I don't forget anything!). Here it is:

<!-All essential travel papers: passport, visa, immunization records, addresses of where I am staying, etc. (along with photocopies of all of these documents)
<!-2 pyjamas (one pants, one shorts)
<!-2 dresses
<!-5 blouses for work
<!-7 t-shirts
<!-4 tank-tops
<!-2 quick-dry hiking shirts
<!-4 pairs of shorts (one board shorts, one for hiking, and 2 others)
<!-2 skirts
<!-2 pairs capris
<!-2 long pants (one light hiking, one yoga/running)
<!-2 long-sleeved sweaters
<!-1 cardigan
<!-1 jacket
<!-1 rain jacket
<!-Bras & underwear
<!-Socks
<!-2 quick-dry towels
<!-1 beach towel
<!-1 silk sheet
<!-1 pillow case
<!-1 bathing suit
<!-1 pair of goggles
<!-2 bikinis
<!-1 frisbee
<!-1 mosquito net
<!-Sunscreen, bug repellent, after bite
<!-Shampoo, conditioner, soap
<!-Toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, mouthwash
<!-Make-up
<!-Emergency first aid kit
<!-Travel medication: malaria pills, gastrolytes, Benadryl, gravol, immodium, etc.
<!-Hiking boots, running shoes, work shoes, and flip flops
<!-2 water bottles
<!-SteriPen water purifier
<!-English-Spanish dictionary
<!-Pens, pencils & paper
<!-Journal
<!-Activity books (i.e. Sudoku) and Kindle
<!-Guide du Routard (travel book)
<!-Pictures of friends & family
<!-Camera, extra battery and extra memory card
<!-Headlamp
<!-Sunglasses
<!-Cords to charge iPod, Kindle, camera; extra batteries; voltage converter
<!-Waterproof pouch to hold valuables when I go to the beach
<!-Can of maple syrup as a thank-you gift for my host family

Tomorrow at 2pm I will be boarding my flight to Toronto, meeting up with Justina and Peter (who are also travelling to Peru with me) and then taking off for Lima. Estimated arrival around 1am (which will be 2am here in Ontario). Luckily for us, we won't be dealing with too too much jet-lag: Lima is in the same time-zone as Ottawa, except that they do not observe Daylight Savings Time, so they are currently one hour behind.

We've been talking about this field placement for so long that it doesn't feel like it's actually here. I've been trying to make the most out of seeing my parents, family and friends, and for me I think it will just feel like I'm going on another vacation. I'm pretty excited to finally be living a dream that I've been preparing for since I started this program in 2008. I know that I'll be back in Canada soon enough and so I don't feel too sad to leave (although spending more than a few days at home here and there would be nice).

Next stop: Lima, Peru. Southern Hemisphere. I want to see if it's true that in the southern hemisphere when toilets flush they spin in the other direction. I'll keep you posted.

Talk to you again soon! I hope you enjoy following my blog while I'm gone!
Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment