Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A little bit about me!

Hello! My name is Sheila Ball. I am currently in my 3rd year in the International Development Honours program at the University of Waterloo, completing a Minor in Geography and Environmental Management as well as a Diploma in Environmental Assessment.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself. I was born and raised in Ottawa, Ontario. I am half French-Canadian (on my mom's side) and half English-Canadian (on my dad's side), so I have spoken French and English my entire life. I love spending time outside, and for this reason I enjoy each of our seasons. Whether it is skating on the Rideau Canal or skiing during the winter, or swimming, playing ultimate frisbee or soccer during the summer, there is always something to do! At home I also enjoy playing my piano; I took classical music lessons for almost 11 years, and so my piano feels like an extension of my emotions, thoughts, and feelings.

At school in Waterloo, I like to keep myself pretty busy. On top of taking a full course load, I am also a member of the University of Waterloo lifeguard club. We attend many lifeguarding competitions each year, notably the Ontario University Lifeguarding Championships, to be held at Queen's University in March 2011. I also play ultimate frisbee regularly. I am a volunteer with the International Student Organization's SHADOW program. At the beginning of each semester, I get paired with a newly-arrived international student and show them around campus. I am also completing courses to get a Student Leadership Certificate through the Organizational & Human Development office on campus. On top of this, one weekend per month I teach a Standard First Aid & CPR-C class on campus. Needless to say, I am quite busy! Sometimes things can get overwhelming, but I love it!

That's all for now, but stay tuned as I reveal more information in the coming weeks about my field placement, why I am doing it, and what got me here!

Sheila

2 comments: